FAQs in Audiology

What materials does the application process require?

Please see the Graduate Program Application page for more information.

What grade point average (GPA) and Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores do I need to be accepted into the MS program at University of Arizona?

The typical successful applicant has a GPA of 3.8 or better on the last 60 units, has a verbal GRE score in the 62 %ile or better, a quantitative GRE score in the 50 percentile or better, and a GRE analytic writing score in the 48 percentile or better. The typical successful applicant also demonstrates participation in a research laboratory, volunteerism, and/or a solid work history, and has strong letters of recommendation. Note that these are not criteria for admission, just descriptions of the types of students admitted to our program in recent years.

What is the process for determining which applicants are accepted into the AuD program?

A faculty committee rates applicants on several variables including GPA (4-year and last 60 units), GRE (verbal, quantitative, and writing), personal statement, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. Applicants are ranked according to their summed rating score and acceptance into the program is based on these rankings.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is an $85 application fee for domestic students and a $95 application fee for international students, payable to the Graduate College.  MS and AuD applicants will also need to pay an application fee to the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS).  Details about CSDCAS's application fees can be found at their website

How long is the traditional AuD program?

The AuD program is four years in length.   For most students, the first three years are spent in residence completing required coursework and clinical rotations and research.  When these requirements are met, students plan an externship for the fourth year in consultation with the Externship Coordinator.

 Does UA accept students with undergraduate degrees in other disciplines?

Yes. Students with degrees in other disciplines are encouraged to apply.

Is there funding available for graduate students?

We typically have several teaching assistantships per year for incoming students, and occasionally we have research assistantships available. We also may offer some out-of-state tuition waivers. We encourage prospective domestic students to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, some prospective domestic students, who have shown academic achievement despite facing challenging social, economic, or educational obstacles, may qualify for funding.

Do the Audiology and Speech Language Pathology programs participate in the Western Regional College Programs (WRCP)?

No.  Currently our graduate clinical training programs do not qualify for the WRCP.

What is the current tuition at the University of Arizona for graduate students?

Numbers listed below are for the 2018-2019 academic year:

Graduate Program

Resident Tuition (full-time)

Nonresident Tuition


Mandatory Student Fees

Program Fees

Total Resident

Total Nonresident






















For additional information, please visit the University of Arizona tuition calculator.

Who should I ask for letters of recommendation?

We require three letters of recommendation. At least two of those should come from academic faculty members (preferably all three). The request for letters of application can be sent any time after you have started the application, it is a good idea to send these early.

Are my GRE scores too old?

If you have taken the GRE within the past 5 years, they are still considered current. If they are older than 5 years, you need to take the GRE again.

Are there special requirements for second-language English speakers?

English proficiency is one of the conditions for admission to the UA Graduate College for all applicants whose native language is not English. Applicants must submit a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 paper based (PB), 79 internet based (iBT), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 7 (no subject area below a 6).

To be admitted into our clinical AuD program, and particularly to perform successfully in the clinic, a student also needs to meet our technical standards, one of which is highlighted below: 

Students must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively with patients and colleagues; comprehend technical, procedural and professional materials; and follow instructions.  Students' speech and English language skill should be such that colleagues and clients readily understand them.  Finally, students must be able to prepare clinical reports and notes in a clear, logical and professional manner.

A minimum of even high score on the TOEFL and IELTS does not in and of itself guarantee meeting this standard.  Non-native English speakers are strongly encouraged to request an interview in person or my phone to help make this determination prior to accepting an offer of admission.

Do you accept applicants with disabilities?

We do not ask about disability prior to admission, nor is information about disability considered in the admission process.  To be admitted into our AuD program, a student needs to meet our technical standards. These standards relate to observation, communication, motor, and intellectual skills.   If accommodation is needed to meet these standards, students are directed to the University's Disability Resource Center for determination and coordination of appropriate accommodations.

Do you consider applications for early decisions?

No. ALL applications submitted by the deadline (February 1) will be considered equally.

Do you accept late application materials?

No. ALL materials must be received by February 1st for your application to be considered. This includes your online application forms, resume, unofficial transcripts, GRE scores, and letters of recommendation.   

Do you allow students to begin the program in January?

No. All students begin their AuD program in August (fall semester).

Do you allow part-time students in the AuD program?

No. Our AuD program is a full-time program.

May I visit the University of Arizona?

Yes. The best time to visit the department is on the designated visitation dates (contact the department for the specific dates; typically held in March/April). On these days you will meet academic faculty, clinical faculty, and current students and you will get tours of the clinics and research laboratories. You may also visit on other dates; however, be sure to contact someone several weeks before your trip so that some arrangements can be made for you to meet some of the faculty.

What types of clinical opportunities do you offer?

All AuD students are required to complete a wide variety of clinical placements and demonstrate proficiency in a number of specific skill areas.  During the first three years, students spend between 4 and 16 hours per week in clinical rotations.  All students spend time in our on-campus clinic and with our clinical faculty at Tucson Medical Center.  In addition, students do semester long rotations at various hospital, clinic, and private practice sites in Tucson with University Associated clinical faculty. By the end of the third year, students will have had practicum in most if not all clinical skill areas.  Fourth year externships are identified in collaboration with our externship coordinator either locally or across the USA.  In the past ten years, all students have been placed in excellent clinical settings with a diversity of experiences.  Many have received stipends.

Do students begin clinical rotations their first year?

Yes, students begin clinical involvement during their first semester.  Formal supervised clinical rotations begin in the second semester.

Do I need to stay in Tucson for the 4th year externship?

There are many possibilities for externships and these are not restricted to Tucson.  We have placed students across the USA.

Is it possible to get experience in bilingual speech-language pathology in the UA program?

Yes, given Tucson’s diverse population, there are many clinical and research opportunities to develop your understanding of cultural diversity and bilingual speech-language pathology skills (particularly Spanish-English) in the UA program.   We also offer a formal bilingual certificate program for students enrolled in the clinical graduate programs.  Students apply to the bilingual program after they are enrolled in a graduate program.  There is a $500/semester fee for this program.

Is a research project required?

Yes, all students are required to participate in a research project in an area of interest under the guidance of faculty that they choose during their program of study.  These projects are often done collaboratively with other AuD students and the time and work-effort commitment is typically significantly less that a traditional Master's thesis.

What is the employment rate of those who graduate with an AuD in speech-language pathology from the University of Arizona?