Undergraduate Experience

Our undergraduate program is designed to provide foundational information to develop critical thinking skills, the ability to evaluate scientific information, and to facilitate the development of writing skills.

For students wishing to pursue clinical or research careers in Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology, the undergraduate degree provides the prerequisite coursework required for graduate study. A Master’s Degree is required for practice as a speech-language pathologist and a Doctor of Audiology (AuD) degree is the entry-level degree for clinical practice in audiology. An undergraduate major in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences also provides a strong background for the pursuit of other careers, including teaching and health-related areas.

Undergraduate Requirements

You can read about our undergraduate requirements, along with our course offerings.

Frequently asked questions and answers regarding undergraduate requirements can be found here.


Admission to the University of Arizona can be accomplished by completion of an online application through the Office of Admissions.  Students interested in a major in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences should apply to the College of Science.  There is not an admissions protocol to become a SLHS major; students complete a declaration of major form. Email Andrea Palacio at apalacio@email.arizona.edu for more information.

Undergraduate and Transfer Student Advising: If you have advising questions, please contact Andrea Palacio, Academic advisor for College of Science, at apalacio@email.arizona.edu. Appointments can be made here. Andrea's office is SLHS, Room 220a.

Undergraduate Resources

There are a variety of resources available to undergraduates at the UA:

100% Engagement

SLHS offers a variety of opportunities for students to engage in meaningful learing experiences outside of the classroom. These include directed research (SLHS 392/492), preceptoring for an undergraduate course (SLHS 391/491), and participating as a clinical assistant (SLHS 458/459). You can learn about the campus-wide engagement initiative, as well as what the College of Science provides for undergraduate students.

Students enrolled in 399/499 Independent Study can also earn 100% engagement credit by registering their experience at with the UA 100% Research Engagement Experience.

Clinical Assistant Program (CAP)

The Clinical Assistant Program is an engagement activity that provides an opportunity for upper class undergraduates to assist in the clinic setting. As a clinical assistant, you may serve as a communication partner, assist in taking data, or support an audiology graduate student in hearing evaluations. Applicants must have at least a 3.2 GPA in the major and follow all clinic guidelines, including HIPAA training. If you are interested, please complete the CAP Student application form indicating your area of interests and your availability. Attach your application to a copy of your unofficial transcript and place in the 2nd floor mailbox of Tom Muller (for audiology clinic) or Cass Faux (for speech and language clinic).

Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Program

SLHS offers a  summer program for those interested in becoming a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant.

ASHA's Minority Student Leadership Program

Click here to learn more.

Current Students

Click here for additional resources.