E & I Committee Work
The Equity and Inclusion Committee (Chair: Dr. Leah Fabiano-Smith) was created in 2017 to facilitate the Department’s efforts to increase equity and inclusion across all levels of our program (e.g., pospective students, undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff) in all of our activities (e.g., teaching, hiring, admissions, research, policy).
Policies/procedures spearheaded by the committee are available on the Departmental Policies/Procedures page. The committee’s work is ongoing, and current efforts include:
- Faculty training on anti-racism in individual student interactions and clinic/classroom procedures
- Considerations of ways to better reflect inclusive teaching and mentoring practices in faculty and assessments
- Long-term hiring strategies
- Department policies for reporting/responding to instances of tokenism, microagressions, or other racist or non-inclusive actions
- Ways to broaden opportunities for all students to receive specific training in working with culturally and linguistically populations.
- Identifying and connecting students with campus support services
- Faculty-student mentoring program for underrepresented students in the major and the profession
- Dialogue and collaboration with student groups supporting underrepresented groups
- Better ways to incorporate our alumni and the broader community into these efforts
The committee has gathered and developed worksheets, guides, and handouts, including:
Do you have some feedback? Ideas? Do you want to be involved? Contact Dr. Fabiano-Smith.